Sunday, January 8, 2012

Final Fantasy VII

Even though I haven't played a video game properly for a good five years now, there was once a time in my life where quite frankly, they were my life. And the game that made that life most complete was Final Fantasy VII.

Now, I know that graphically games are now incomparable to the blocky form of Cloud unconvincingly navigating his way around static barely 3D backgrounds but to me none of that matters. The world of FF7 sucked me in and kept me immersed in it's plot twists, puzzles and drama until I eventually gave up on trying to beat the Sephiroth (the big bad guy) in the last epic battle (I didn't said I was any good at it!).

So, why was FF7 so great? It was the story and the characters that gripped me in the way a good book or film does. Except in FF7 I felt that I could change the outcome, this was my story. I cared deeply for each member of my team and I bore a true hatred for Sephiroth. Maybe it was my young and easily manipulated mind that allowed this game to have such a power over me but no other game, before or since, ever managed to do the same.

However, there isn't really much skill involved in playing this game, the puzzles require a bit of logical thinking but there is no call for quick or accurate use of the controller. It also is slow game, a positive for me as it helped give the plot line more depth but a major turn off those seeking thrills. All in all though, if you are willing to put in the time then FF7 rewards you with a world that you will want to save.

1 comment: