Friday, January 27, 2012

Practice Introspection: Saint's Row: The Third

What intended to be a half hour of playtime... quickly evolved into more than 2 hours. The first immediate thought that I had while playing the game, was just how easily distracted you could be! The designers had clearly had this in mind, from making pretty much every aspect of the game customizable. In particular, I spent a bit too much time just customizing my character just right... from eye spacing, to contemplating whether she would have a Russian Accent or a Zombie voice that seemingly every criminal seems to understand with clarity.

Afterwards, I finally began to start doing some simple missions, as this is a open world action game essentially. The first mission was relatively simple, just a driving mission to practice driving skills, and although it was a tutorial level, the game quickly introduced you to how to drift, use nitrous speed boosts and fully customize the car to be a moving death machine... all within 5 minutes. I really appreciated having all this freedom and options right away.

I also enjoyed the character interactions quite a bit, the dialogue between all the characters are sharply written and quite often 4th wall breaking, another aspect that I found enjoyable, which added to the sense of insanity that the game always pushes.

Yes... there are hover bikes in the game!

Speaking of which, the last mission I played was essentially a base jumping from a helicopter and attacking an enemy stronghold. Although, the game at this point played as a decent 3rd person shooter with good aim and gun feedback (the dual pistols in particular literally blew the enemies away), the game still provided me options to deal with it anyway I wanted, from using wrestling move takedowns, to summoning a fighter jet to bring into the fight.

And that's what I enjoy most about this game, the constant sense of freedom that is facilitated by a sense of insanity... that somehow works!

No comments:

Post a Comment