Sunday, January 8, 2012

Super Meat Boy

My interest and dedication to play video games has declined dramatically for the past few years since my focus has moved onto more “serious” and important things. But I still have to satisfy my urge to play games every once and a while. So since I don’t do that very often, the games I play have to be easy to get sucked into. I don’t have the patience or energy any more to follow story lines, build up characters and reputation or even play continuously for reasonably long period of time.

That’s why Super Meat Boy is one of the best games I have played in some while. It’s incredibly simple and at the same time addictive. The objective in the game couldn’t be more straightforward: Just get through the levels without dying, collect things (if you can be bothered) and save the girl you love (who is constantly being captured by the villain... how unlucky can one be!?). That’s how it’s also a tribute to retro platform games such as Super Mario Bros on NES which are the type of games that are my all-time favourite. The music plays a big part too and gives it a certain retro-gaming feel to it.

For my part the most important thing about this game is how accessible it is because of its simplicity and that can be applied to many other games. There is really nothing I can think of what this game could do better. Certainly it can be incredibly difficult at times but how fun is it not having put any effort in winning the game? It does a better job than most games I have played for the past few years by completely satisfying my gaming-urge and that’s all I need!

No comments:

Post a Comment